Name and orientation
The Vogelgat Private Nature Reserve is situated in the Overberg region, about 125 Km east of Cape Town in the Western Cape Province and 2.4km from the outskirts of Hermanus.
Dominant Veld Types
The reserve falls within the Fynbos Biome (Acocks’ Veld Types 69 and Low and Rebelo Mountain Fynbos 64 (1996)
Area of the Reserve
The Reserve covers an area of 703.1172 morgen, about 603 ha.
The reserve is managed by Vogelgat Nature Reserve (PTY) LTD as a local private reserve.
The Board of Trustees of Vogelgat Nature Reserve manages the affairs of Vogelgat Nature Reserve (PTY) LTD. The Board comprises four members: James Williams (Chairman), Mari Fouche, Dave Morrison and Anthony Van Hoogstraaten.
The co-ordinates of the reserve effectively lie between latitudes 34o 22’ 30” E and 34o 24’ 05” E and longitudes 19o 17’ 59” S and 19o 19’ 50” S.
The Vogelgat Nature Reserve falls under the jurisdiction of the Overstrand Magisterial District.
The reserve falls within the Overberg District Council.
The reserve falls within the Western Cape Province.
· Fernkloof Nature Reserve – Overstrand Municipality
· 590/1 – Maanschynskop Nature Reserve – Western Cape Nature Conservation Board
· 590 – Diepgat farm – Private
The Vogelgat Nature Reserve, a portion of Vogel Gat A, 592 was proclaimed in the Government Gazette No PN 332 – 71
Date of Proclamation
The reserve with its existing boundaries, was proclaimed on 18TH of August 1971 in terms of the Nature Conservation Act (No 19 of 1974)
The following Acts are applicable on the reserve:
· Constitution of South Africa No 108 of 1996.
· The Conservation of Agricultural Resources Act No 43 of 1983
· The Environmental Conservation Act No 73 of 1989
· Environmental Management Act No 107 of 1998.
· Game Theft Act No 105 of 1996.
· Physical Planning Act No 88 of 1967.
· National Forests Act No 84 0f 1998
· National Veld and Forests Fire Act No 101 of 1998.
· National Water Act No 36 of 1998.
· Western Cape Nature Conservation Board Act No 15 of 1998.
· Western Cape Tourism Act No 3 of 1997